Wednesday, May 15, 2013

We Forgot to Kiss the Pan :(


Reading

 

Kitchen Skills

Home Economics

Following Instructions
 


Math Measurements


Baking
Cleanliness
Tidiness

 

History
Today, as part of our Picture Perfect Cakes in May we read Don't Forget by Patricia Lakin/ Ted Rand. This book takes place post-WWII and, in pursuit of making a secret cake for her mother, Sarah is confronted with the Singer couple's secret which makes Sarah uncomfortable. Though I found the book missing gaps and pieces in the story, my 11-year-old seemed to follow it well. We found Meme's old bundt pan in the pantry and discussed WWII and definitions such as concentration camps, holocaust, and Gestapo. And, yes, the book brought up the subject of tattoos which utterly intrigued my student, but not in the way you're thinking.
 
Read the book and you'll see why.
 
Just one last note: Don't Forget, as we did, to kiss the pan before it gets too hot inside the oven. Total fail! :(  But the cake is yummy, even if a little heavy for our 21st century palates. Try it with a glass of milk.

Monthly Picture Books with Recipes found in A Picture Perfect Childhood
 

1 comment:

  1. I have often thought about how wonderful it would be to have been born into your family! You guys have so much fun! I sometimes fall short with patience having my daughters in the kitchen with me...but you have inspired me!

    ReplyDelete

Your Thoughtful Comments Matter

Recommendations by Engageya

Blog Archive